In six days, more than 1,350,000 inhabitants have been enumerated.
On October 1st, the 28th Census of Population, Households and Dwellings successfully started in Serbia.
About 15,000 enumerators started the field work, and in six days, they enumerated more than 1,350,000 inhabitants, 650,000 dwellings and 500,000 households in the Republic of Serbia.
Population census is woven into the very foundations of the modern Serbian state. After six nahijas were returned to Serbia in 1833, already in 1834 - by order of Prince Miloš - the first general population census, the so-called "Population Census", was conducted, and in 1835, the Constitution of Sretenje was adopted. From then until the First World War, censuses were conducted, on average, every five years.
Between the two world wars, two Yugoslav censuses were conducted, in 1921 and 1931. The planned ten-year periodicity of the census was disrupted in 1941, due to the Second World War. After the war, conducted was the so-called "abbreviated" census in 1948, in order to gather data on demographic losses as soon as possible.
The first complete post-war population census was conducted already in 1953, and starting with 1961 Census, the ten-year dynamics of the population census was re-established, in accordance with the recommendations of the United Nations.
This year, from October 1 to October 31, 2022, Census is being conducted by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, and it is financed by the EU funds and co-financed by the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
More about the history of the Census in Serbia at the link: POPIS 2022 - YouTube
We thank you for your cooperation.
- 21.12.2022. First results of the 2022 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings
- 21.12.2022. Press conference - The first results of 2022 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings
- 25.10.2022. Meeting with the High Commissioner on National Minorities of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation
- 21.10.2022. In 20 days, more than 4.7 million citizens have been enumerated in 2022 Census
- 07.10.2022. In six days, more than 1,350,000 inhabitants have been enumerated.
- 30.09.2022. 2022 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings begins
- 26.09.2022. Workshop on Census
- 16.09.2022. Census info-center 2022 has started working
- 08.09.2022. Meeting of the representatives of the Embassy of Great Britain
- 19.07.2022. Media conference on the occasion of 2022 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia
- 24.06.2022. Public call for candidates for instructors in the 2022 Census
- 21.06.2022. Training of municipal and regional coordinators
- 17.06.2022. About 2,500 instructors will be needed to conduct the 2022 Census in the Republic of Serbia
- 08.04.2021. Field implementation of the Census from October 1st to October 31st, 2022
Share this page